General discussion for the Tarazedi community.
- Site Admin
- Posts: 9
- Joined: 2017.02.13 18:06:35 EST
- Location: New York
- Star Trek Online Username: @mneme0
- The Nethersphere Rank: Administrator
You will need the DL2: Legacy Cycle Standard Font to view Tarazedi characters and the DL3: Tarazedi Keyboard Layout to type with them.
Alphabet and Phonology
Pronunciation of Tarazedi characters is consistent and regular, with only one pronunciation exception. There are 26 letters: 20 consonants (6 stops, 6 fricatives, 6 affricates, 2 nasals, 2 approximants, and 2 doubles) and 6 vowels. There are also 4 supplementary vowels not considered part of the alphabet. The Tarazedi alphabet with transliteration, pronunciation, and keystroke is listed below in Tarazedi alphabetical order: pa, bu, ta, du, ka, gu, tha, vu, sa, zu, sha, zhu, cha, jhu, mu, nu, ru, lu, xa, qu, at, it, ot, et, ut, yt
. There are capitals of all letters.
- Example word:
Tazaradiax "The Tarazedi"
(From Tazarad - proper name for the star system Novi Tazarad + -i - adjectival suffix + -ax - article "the" suffix.)
- Words contain one syllable per vowel. There are no diphthongs, however, interjections may be pronounced as glides.
- A consonant is part of the following vowel's syllable except where the following vowel is part of a suffix.
Thus: Tazaradiax ta-za-rad-i-ax, not taz-a-rad-i-ax.
- The last syllable of a root word before a suffix is stressed
Thus: Tazaradiax ta-za-RAD-i-ax
- Suffixes containing a and i use the supplementary vowel pronunciation, e.g. Tazaradiax; however the supplementary vowel characters are not used when writing, except in pronunciation guides and for loan words.
- Example word:
veltrax "The Storm"
(From vel - openness, sky + -tr - "that which does" + -ax - article "the" suffix.)
- Roots and suffixes do not merge with each other.
Thus: VEL-tr-ax, not VEL-trax.
- In informal dialect, the above rule may be broken.
- In speed dialect, consonants between other consonants may be discarded.
Who is online
Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 1 guest